Saturday, September 14, 2013

Game Ranger



My safari experience wouldn’t have been what it was without Jaben and Solly.  We were all in awe of Solly’s bionic tracking senses and felt fortunate we had Jaben as our guide.  Jaben spoke passionately about the animals and his job and regaled us with his safari tales. 

I wanted to know more about this life I briefly visited and continue to during those quiet spaces in the day when the sun reminds me she saw me with the lions. 

Fortunately, Jaben Van Graan, our guide and ranger for &Beyond has been generous enough to take the time and answer some of my questions.



How did you decide to become a ranger?
"I studied journalism, and came to visit a friend of mine who also guided for andbeyond, after the second night of visiting him, I decided that this is what I want to do with my life."

What’s the best thing about your job?
"The best thing about this job for me is that it's the perfect balance between my love for animals and my love for people. Meeting new people on a daily basis and introducing them to all these wonderful animals is just the best job ever, the beautiful office also helps."

What’s the most challenging thing about your job?
"The most challenging thing about my job is to try and make people's dreams come true. It sounds cheesy, but if you think about it, so many guests arrive in Africa and they have been dreaming about seeing lions or leopards or giraffes, whatever for so many years. That dream becomes my responsibility to deliver that once in a lifetime experience."

 What’s the most unusual experience you’ve had on the job?
"The most unusual experience I've had was definitely driving a South American family for 3 nights that couldn't speak any English. I think in the end both parties had a very unique experience."

What’s the most surprising thing you’ve learned on the job?
"That first impressions really do last for ever. In this job it is so important to win your guests trust, that you can't afford to start on a bad foot."

What are you most afraid of when you’re out in the bush?
"When I'm out by myself it's definitely the injured buffalo that will surprise you one day.  When I'm driving with guests, I'm most afraid that they won't enjoy this place as much as I do."

What’s the best thing about being out in the lowveld?
"The lowveld itself is such an iconic safari destination, but what makes this reserve so special is that fact that we are between two of the biggest national parks with no fences between us and them. You never know what you're gonna find out there."

If you were an animal, what would you be?
"If I could be an animal, I would be an african wild dog. They might not have the longest lifespan, but they definitely have one of the most exciting lifestyles."

 I am happiest when…
"I really am happiest when I'm at Ngala. This is ground zero, this is where I found myself and everything that makes me happy."

If you had 3 wishes, what would you wish for?
"I'd wish for endless travel miles and all the passports you would ever need. My second wish I would spend on becoming a professional golfer. And my last wish will be to meet the perfect girl that loves and enjoys this place and job as much as I do."


No comments:

Post a Comment